Thursday, January 6, 2011

Goal 4 - FINISH "Top of Utah Marathon"

This is the goal that I surprised myself with. I have been thinking about running a big race for a few years and telling myself I was going to do it. TALK IS CHEAP! As I started to put this blog together I had a list of about 10 goals. I wanted a good 3-4 to write about. I had eliminated this goal from the list because it didn’t have much to do with my other goals and seemed like putting maple syrup on a hamburger. At the last minute on impulse I added it to the list. I’m really glad I did.

Why a marathon?

I’ve always been really active, but never much of a runner. Most of my running career has consisted of 90 minutes of jogging and wind sprints while playing soccer. I decided it’s the perfect way to get me to accomplish a lot of “sub-goals” that I have like eating healthier. For years I have done a good job of cutting out the junk from my diet. The problem is I haven’t been eating enough of the healthy stuff. Marathon training programs suggest adding 100 calories for every mile you run (I better check that it seems like a lot). I also have a lot of friends and relatives who run marathons. Some are way busier than me and somehow find a way to fit training in their schedules.

There are a few reasons I’ve chosen this particular race. A friend of mine ran this race last year and loved it. He has been talking to me about marathons and different training methods for several months. I’m really not a fan of running in the city so those races are out. The course starts at Hardware Ranch Elk Refuge, and travels down Blacksmith Fork Canyon and on into downtown Logan. The course drops approximately 1045 ft. over the 26 miles but is only a 1% to 2% grade and won't beat up your legs. It is a perfect downhill running course. I love the mountains! Also, the race is on September 17th which corresponds perfectly with my school schedule. I can do most of my big runs between spring and fall semesters. I will start fall semester a few weeks before the race which corresponds perfectly with my rest and recovery program.

Currently I am running 5K @ 28 Minutes 4 times a week. I was planning on working up to 10K 3 times a week by over the next month but yesterday I had a minor medical procedure done that will slow my progress a bit.

My main motivation behind this goal is I want to be at my physical best for my 30th birthday.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had time to be at my physical best by my 30th Birthday! Well atleast I can run my 1st 5K on my B-day, that will be a good thing. :) Love you Mister!

    ReplyDelete